Learn To Row
Learn To Row (Download Brochure)
The Mid-Hudson Rowing Association Adult Learn-to-Row (LTR) program operates under a simple concept - learn to row while having fun! Our program is straightforward - we teach you rowing fundamentals, and you enjoy the camaraderie of MHRA club members while you model their skills. Come appreciate the beauty of the historic and scenic Hudson River while skimming along its surface! Our Learn-to-Row sessions are designed for adults who have never rowed before. Experienced MHRA coaches teach rowing and boat handling skills to get you started on a lifetime activity which you can enjoy for recreation and exercise.
Mid Hudson Rowing Association Learn to Row (LTR) Program 2013:
All classes are taught by our experienced adult volunteer coaches with club member rowers and coxswains who row along with you.
May and June LTR
- Guarantees 6 classes
- Offers 50% of the LTR fee back towards our annual individual membership fee.
Session I ($150): Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30 PM, Saturdays and Sundays at 7:00 AM
May 14, 16 (5:30-7:30PM) May 18, 19 (7-9AM) and May 21, 23 (5:30-7:30PM)
Session II ($150): Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30 PM, Saturdays and Sundays at 7:00 AM
June 15, 16 (7-9AM) June 18, 20 (5:30-7:30PM) June 22, 23 (7-9AM)
For more information and a free indoor tank rowing introduction lesson, contact our Learn To Row Coordinators email, or call (845) 452-2970.
For Learn To Scull information see the Sculling tab
- No prior experience necessary
- Must be in good physical condition before starting the program. Check with your doctor if you are uncertain. Must be able to swimm (see Safety Certification form).
- Dress for rowing in close-fitting layers (baggy clothes catch in the sliding seat wheels).
- Bring a water bottle.
- Sign US Rowing Waiver: Online (club code
C73BZ) or Form
Two ways to Register:
- "Newfangled way" - Online via Regatta Central using a check or credit card (Note: Regatta Central asks you to create a "user account" and then allows you to choose the rowing club and the session dates). Clubs are listed alphabetically. To register with us, select Mid Hudson Rowing Association.
- "Old fashioned way" - Telephone call to LTR Coordinator at 845-452-2970, then mail your check.
Mail a check for $150/person (price unchanged since 2005!), payable to Mid Hudson Rowing Association to:
Mid-Hudson Rowing Association, P.O. Box 683, Poughkeepsie, NY 12602
LTR graduates are invited to join the club and enjoy coached, recreational rowing with MHRA club members. At the discretion of the coach, participation in the Tail of the Fish and/or Head of the Fish Regattas is possible as well.
VHV (Visit Hudson Valley) Learn to Row with MHRA (2002) :
Review Article Part 1 Review Article Part 2